As soon as I saw him I thought the butterflies would have gone away. Nope...not so much. I was happy to see him...giddy in fact. But the butterflies were still there. I think just because I was so nervous about him and the kids meeting and worrying about how it was going to go.
We headed to Schlotzsky's for dinner then back here to show him the place. It would only be this clean once, so I wanted him to get the complete tour before the kids got home and it looked lived in! Well, he got the tour, and then there was a knock at the door...THE KIDS were home! I opened the door, and they saw Brandon. I think my heart stopped! It's like time was going in slow motion! Lily immediately ran to Brandon and hugged him. Then Noah said "hi," and then Ash. They were a little shy, but polite and warm. Okay...so far so good. I had all the kids get in their jammies, and then meet us in the living room for a treat. I had just made chocolate chip cookies, and in fact they were still warm, so I thought they could have a cookie, chat with Brandon, and then head to bed. But Lily had other plans. Lily wanted to play princess 'Bingo' with Brandon. Brandon happily accepted the invitation to play, and quickly sat on the living room floor with her. Ash joined in, so then I did too. We each took turns. Within minutes it was just down to Brandon and Lily to see who would win the last 'Bingo.' I looked over at Brandon's bingo card, and he had a bingo. So I called out, "Brandon got Bingo!" He quickly shhh'ed me. (In a nice way) But, then whispered in my ear, "I want Lily to win." What?? He is going to let my 6-year old beat him at Bingo? How cute is that!? You all may think that is so stupid? But to me, it was so adorable. It was the start of their little bonding moment. Seconds later, Lily won, and screamed with delight. I looked at Brandon, and he was smiling too! He was happy that he made her happy. And she was happy she won! The night went really great! And when it came time to tuck the kids in bed, he happily joined in tucking them all in, and hugged them all goodnight. Lily asked if she could kiss him goodnight (she is my affectionate girl), and I said, "no" but told her that she could kiss him on the cheek. She happily kissed him on the cheek, hugged him, and then was quickly out like a light!
Saturday we were going to go to a RV show downtown with some friends from the ward. We just thought that was something that the kids would love, and that Noah would especially love. It was fun and relaxing. I just let the kids go from one RV to another, but they had to stay together, or at least be within ine RV of each other, so they couldn't go too far ahead.
I stood in amazement the whole time at what a "natural" father-role Brandon played. At the beginning of the day, I told Brandon to just enjoy the day with the kids. Relax, enjoy, and let me parent. I wanted him to be the "good-guy" and to build a friendship with the kids this first weekend with them.
But it still amazed me how he just jumped in and helped out like it was second nature. Noah and him held hands through the majority of the show...SO CUTE!! Lily was scared to get on a escalator, and so he scooped her up, and carried her onto it, so she wouldn't be scared. He would stand by the RV and wait for Ash so that we wouldn't lose her if I was at another RV with the other kids. He was always watching out for them, and making sure they were okay.
Then there came lunch...hot dogs were $3.50 and I think that it just outrageous!! I didn't want Brandon to have to spend so much money, so I packed lots of snacks, and just ordered the kids three hot dogs. He insisted that there would be leftovers, so there was no need to order himself one. First of all...was he implying that he was going to eat my kids leftovers?? Yup. Within minutes of ordering the hot dogs, and finding a place to sit and eat, Ash and Noah were "full." Their leftovers equalled one whole hot dog. Brandon offered to polish off their leftovers, and then just looked at me, smiled, and said "I told you there would be leftovers." I hate when he is right!! :)
The kids hugging Yogi Bear at the RV show
Noah wearing a live snake at the RV show
Lily wearing the live snake...she was little freaked out at first because the head of the snake was going for her face!
Later that night we went out for date night!! Hallelujah!! The kids went to a friends house, and we headed to Liberty Jail. Seeing as how Brandon is from the west, he hasn't done a lot of the LDS tourist sites that are throughout the midwest, so I thought that we should do it while he was here. I was so overcome with the Spirit while I was there! And I always seem to learn something new when I go. I had just gone over Thanksgiving break with the kids and my parents, but it was nice to go again with my sweetheart, and sit there holding hands the whole time listening to the stories of Joseph Smith and the testimonies of the missionaries. What a great way to start date night!
(Inside Liberty Jail)
After Liberty Jail we headed to 'Olive Garden' for dinner!! YUM!! There are no words to describe...carbs!! I love Italian food!! We sat there hand in hand the whole time while we ate, and then I got quiet. He asked what was wrong. I replied, "does it scare you that it's so easy with us?" He was quick to say "no." We talked back and forth about how easy it is for us, our relationship, and how we just seem to fit. It seems too perfect. And yes, I get that not everything will be perfect, and that at times we will disagree. I am not stupid! But with Brandon and I...it's just easy! We see eye to eye on almost everything! Our personalities fit perfectly together. We just...fit. It's a nice...like a little piece of heaven.
Sunday I made a big lunch since we wouldn't have time to eat a family dinner after church. It didn't turn out so good... I was rushing and trying to fit too much into the morning...so in the end, I was embarrassed! The first meal that I made for Brandon was a flop. URG! So frustrating!! After lunch we headed to church. During sacrament I had to take Ash out twice...yeah, that was fabulous. But when I came back in, he had Noah and Lily completely under control. He was a pro. He was rubbing Lily's back, and Noah was snuggled up right next to him, coloring. It was a Kodak moment. At church he got to meet my friends, and then he even came in Primary and help me set up chairs and stayed to watch me conduct opening exercises. It was nerve-wracking!! I don't mind talking to the kids, and being in front of the microphone with only kids, but with him watching...it made me nervous!!
After church we quickly rushed home, he packed his suitcase, I made him a sandwich for the road, and we headed out for the airport.
It was really hard for me to see him go, but I think it was harder for the kids. They REALLY like him!! They all got really sad, and kept asking when they were going to see Brandon again? Then Lily teared up when she hugged him good bye and didn't want to let go. She was hooked! As soon as we pulled away from the curb, all three kids said, "I miss Brandon!" It tugged at my heart, but also made me happy. I am so glad that they liked him so much!! What a relief! The kids loved Brandon...and Brandon loved them!
It was a great weekend!! But it went by way too fast!!!!!!
Brandon and the kids Sunday morning. I didn't realize his eyes were closed...sorry sweetheart! But I still wanted to post the picture. That is how Ash looked almost every time I saw her...snuggled up on his lap. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment