February 4, 2011

Tickets


About three weeks ago I got a little fed up with the way the kids were not listening and following directions...a common feeling of most moms! And so I stole an idea that my friend had used...TICKETS!

The kids earn tickets for doing good deeds, helping each other, doing chores, using manners, being respectful, etc. And I take tickets away for being disrespectful, not following directions the first time I ask, backtalk, being sassy, not doing chores, etc.

There is no set amount, which is nice. For example, I will say, "Lily, will you please put away all the shoes and I will give you 3 tickets." Or I will say, "The first one to pick up puzzles gets 2 tickets." It works out really well, because they all dive in and help out, and pitch in to earn tickets. Now after three weeks, they willingly clean up, and do things for me around the house. They are a lot more respectful, and a LOT more obedient! I even find them doing the "little things" when they think I am not looking, and sometimes they even forget to ask for tickets sometimes because they have just gotten into such a good routine of helping one another.

If I take them away, it can be just a few...or all of them. For example, I could say, "Ash, you didn't pick up your coat and hang it up when I asked, so I am taking away a ticket." Or even something like, "Lily, you hit Ashlyn so you lose all your tickets." There is a no tolerance policy here when it comes to acts of violence. :)

At the end of the week, if they have 50 tickets then they can cash them in for something at the 'dollar spot' at Target. Or for Noah, he cashes in 25 tickets for an extra hour of staying up at night. He loves to stay up until 9p, instead of his usual 8p, so everyday he looks for ways to help out and even does extra chores to earn 25 tickets a day.

Their favorite way to earn a fast ticket is by answering, "yes mother," when I ask them to do something. If they quickly respond with a "yes mother," then they automatically earn one ticket. So now ALL the time, the kids will quickly answer like that when I call them to do something. It's kind of comical!

I have really enjoyed doing things this way. I am more patient, and the kids are following directions better than ever! Hallelujah for new ways to parent!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

AliJo said...

Melissa, I REALLY like how easy this is. I tried to do a point system awhile back and it was too much for me to keep track of. I love this. Even though my kiddos are older I think this is excellent. I'm off to WalMart to buy a circle of tickets!!
Alice