February 16, 2011

Time To Brag...

I have three of the MOST amazing kids ever!! Of course I am partial, but I really do think that they are pretty great!!

Here a few stories from the past couple weeks...
  •  I have been teaching Noah how to make simple dinners...Mac 'N Cheese, grilled cheese, Ramen Noodles, Quesidillas, etc. About two weeks ago he asked if he could make Mac 'N Cheese for dinner. I told him to go right ahead. Well he made dinner, had Lily set the table, and asked Ash to clean up the living room. I was sitting at the kitchen table the whole time working on something, and when I stood up to help, he told me to sit back back down and relax because he was handling it. :) He finished making the dinner, dished everyone up, and then Lily did the dishes!! It was quite a relaxing night for me!
  • Two weekends ago I had to work on a Saturday...this will usually be my hardest shift, because when I get home at 7:30am, I will only be able to sleep for an hour or two while the kids watch a movie downstairs. This is because it is the sabbath, so I don't want to pay childcare, or have my kids go to someone's house on the sabbath. So I figure I just need a little nap to pick me up, and then I can get ready for church, attend my meeting, and just go to bed early that night. Well, on Sunday morning I grabbed the kids from their Aunts house where they had spent the night, and brought them home. I put a movie on, and laid out on the kitchen counter some snacks they could have, then headed to bed. Ash came in once to taddle about something, and just as I was lifting my head up to talk to her, Noah was quickly behind her saying, "Ash, leave mom alone, she is sleeping. Tell Noah and I will help you." Isn't that cute! Then when I woke up a few hours later, I woke up to Lily and Ash walking into my room with a plate of food. They said they wanted to give me breakfast in bed since I worked so hard. How cute is that too?? They brought me a bagel with cream cheese, and yogurt. What's funny, is that they know me really well too...that is totally what I would've made myself for breakfast! 
  • I came downstairs from taking a shower last week, to find Lily with a chair pushed up to the kitchen sink, and washing all the dishes by hand. She just looked at me and said, "'hi mom." I kissed her on the top of the head, and asked her what she was doing, and she replied that she was just doing the dishes to give me a break. I LOVE that girl!
  • Also last week, it was time for the kids to go to bed, I sent Noah downstairs where he sleeps to brush his teeth and get ready, and I sent the girls upstairs where they sleep to brush their teeth and hop into bed. Ash quickly ran upstairs (which never happens!) and Lily just said to me, "I'll make sure she brushes her teeth, read her a book, and tuck her in mom. You just sit there and relax." So I did. And Lily did a great job! She helped Ash brush her teeth, read her a book, and tucked her in, and Ash never even came out of her room once!
It's funny, because I really think that kids need to be kids, but I also think that when they are willingly helping out, or asking to help out, we as parents need to let them. It's a great way to serve others, and to learn responsibility. So although I never ask the kids to make dinner, bring me breakfast in bed, or tuck each other in at night, it's nice to know that they want to do that for each other and for me.

On a side note...I want my kids to always know how much I love them! I never want them to doubt it! EVER! And because they do so much for me, I decided to surprise them today at school and eat lunch with them...complete with McDonald's in hand, which has to be better than school food! It seems so small, but they were so happy to show off their mom and get some extra attention. It was so nice to surprise them and make their day!

While there, a girl at Lily's table starting crying and stood up and scream, "leave me alone!" She looked at a bunch of girls who were on the other side of the table...laughing at her (granted this is first grade, so these are 6-7 year olds!). I asked her if she was okay, and she just replied that she would be okay if everyone would just quit picking on her. So I asked her if Lily has ever picked on her, she looked at me, wiped away her tears and said, "NO, Lily is always is nice to me! She never picks on me, and last week she rubbed my back when I wasn't feeling good." My heart melted. I wrapped my arm around Lily and hugged her. I told how proud I was of her for being a good friend and for always treating people with respect.

It made me realize that I must be doing something right! 

1 comment:

Rachelle Hills said...

Missy, love the blog. sorry to hear about the big "D", but sometimes that can be for the best. Take care of yourself and keep your chin up!
Love
Rachelle Hills